What we do and where
We work in Gedling a Borough in Nottinghamshire. Though a fairly new Borough, created in 1974, it is diverse with areas of council housing alongside those of affluence; rural villages within easy reach of urban areas.
It is our ambition to work to the betterment of those who are excluded and do not have the opportunity to participate in society. In conjunction with this we endeavour to support education and promote participation in sports - specifically golf.
Days Until F2R 2017
What we have done so far
On Friday 24th 2017 we held the first Fairway to Ride 4 (F2R4) event. To put it simply; play the four Gedling Borough golf clubs all in one day starting at 4am and finishing sometime around 8pm. Now the gory details:
- Walk 45,000 steps (approximately 22 miles)
- Play 4 undulating / hilly courses: Mapperley Golf Club, Oakmere Park Golf Club, Ramsdale Golf Club & Springwater Golf Club.
- Play each course and travel between them in under 4 hours each
- Start first thing in the morning and finish in time for dinner at 8pm
- A simple betterball competition, with full handicap allowance with prizes for the winners
In total this event raised over £2,000
Junior Golf Championship
The four Gedling Borough golf clubs, Mapperley Golf Club, Oakmere Park Golf Club, Ramsdale Golf Club & Springwater Golf Club, have joined together to promote junior golf. The idea is very simple: to have a set of 4 competitions for junior golfers to compete in. Locally we have seen a dramatic drop in participation and we seek to reverse that trend.
The dates for 2017 are:
- 1st June 2017 – Ramsdale Golf Club
- 28th July 2017 – Mapperley Golf Club
- 10th August 2017 - Springwater Golf Club
- 1st September 2017 – Oakmere Park Golf Club
All juniors are welcome to participate and entry only costs £20 for all four events or £8 if playing a single one – this price includes a snack meal too.
Each events will have prizes for winners, second and third places
Gedling Borough Council
This year we have, so far, given £1,000 towards organised trips for families in Newstead, Killisick and Netherfield with least one child under 5 years of age and registered with Sure Start – so that they are local residents. In most cases this will be the only trip these children experience this Summer.